Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Visit to the Doctor

I'm a type II diabetic. I've been in Cuenca for 45 days, and because of a mix-up in my insurance coverage in the US, I didn't get my full 60-day supply of medication before I left to move here.  Last Monday, needing more medication, I walked into a clinic at Av. 12 de Abril and Av. Solano -- Casa de la Diabetes -- and talked to the receptionist.  She spoke no English and I speak little Spanish, but she told me to come back at 5 PM, when the doctor would be there.  We were there a little early and the doctor was a little late, but within a few minutes of the doctor's arrival, I was in his examination room. He did the usual tests, like blood pressure, and spent time talking to me about what I needed.  He spent a good half an hour dealing with me, mostly overcoming the language barrier.  He spent this time with me even with a full waiting room. He told me to come back to the clinic,  which has a lab associated with it,  for  blood work the next morning and sent me to his private practice for ultrasound tests. 
The next morning (yesterday) I had the blood work done -- glucose, cholesterol, hormones, electolytes, serology, etc. -- as well as a urine test.  This was at 8 in the morning; I was told that the results would be available at 4 in the afternoon.  At noon, I went to the office for the ultrasound.  The examination -- by an MD, not an ultrasound technician -- was very thorough and, during the procedure, every step was explained to me as it was going on.  I'd never seen my liver, kidneys, or pancreas before, and this is not my first ultrasound.  She told me that everything was normal; the report even noted that I don't have a gall bladder! Within 10 minutes of leaving the examination room, I had the images and report in my hands. In Ecuador, your medical reports are your personal property.
After getting something to eat, I hadn't eaten in a while and was hungry, we went back to Casa de la Diabetes and, true to the promise made earlier that day, the report was waiting for me. We waited to talk to the doctor.  He looked at the reports, talked to me a little, and wrote out a prescription for a new medication.  Instead of giving me a month or two's worth, as I would have received from my doctor in the US, he gave me two weeks' worth, and told me that he wanted to see me at the end of that time.   
So, what did all this cost?  This very efficient and thorough process, which would have taken at least a week in the US, took 24 hours.  I had never had more than a quick glance at any of my test results in the US, so I can't compare the completeness of the tests, but I suspect that the tests I had here were at least as complete as any I had in the US.  And the tests are my personal property -- I decide who gets to see them.  They are sitting next to my computer right now. 
So, what did all this cost?
The cost for the initial consultation and exam? $6.
The cost for the blood and urine tests? $55.
The cost for the ultrasound?  $30.
The cost for the second consultation with the doctor? $0
The cost for the medication? $11. (and this is not a generic medication)
Total: $102
Remember, the US health insurance I got when I retired does not have any effect here.
Why did he give me only two weeks worth of medication?  Not because I'm his new "cash cow" -- not at $6 for two consultations -- but because he cares about my health. He's going to keep close watch on my glucose levels for a while; I'm a new patient with new medication. 
The treatment I got was the same (except for the shorter time span it took here) as any I ever received  in the US.  So, what's the difference?  I leave it up to you to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment