Thursday, December 16, 2010

2 weeks and loving it

On time and on schedule. I haven't heard that from people here in Cuenca but that's what I am saying. We now have been hooked up to the internet - on time and on schedule. This time the work we had done was by the government subsidized water company Etapa, it took 3 guys 10 minutes to hook up the internet. They came on the scheduled day about 45 minutes ahead of the scheduled time and called us when they were 5 minutes out. I have never experienced this kind of service in the U.S.. I may be jumping the gun saying that but this is 3 out of 3 so far and the level of service is great.

I have to figure out how to down load pictures onto this blog from this "mini", when I do I have some pictures for show and tell.

Barb will probably post soon with more interesting stuff. My main thrust is to replace my tools and find some land to build on. I have to wait for my paperwork ( visa, cedulla, etc. ) before I can actually purchase land here but that doesn't stop me from looking and I have a boat load of tools to replace. There are a bunch of places around here that have all kinds of tools and equipment. The only tools that cost more here than in the U.S. are tools made in the U.S.. A DeWalt drill will cost $200 here but the same size Chinese "Chicago" drill - you know Harbor Freight- will run about $25. No mig welders but a good stick welder for about $125. I think you get the drift. If it's made in Japan, Korea, China, etc., under a U.S. label it's cheaper here, the same tool with a U.S. company label is more expensive. The only building material I have found to be more costly than the U.S. is rebar and it runs the same to $2 a 20' stick higher.

We did alot of homework before this move, we are not disappointed. After all in the U.S. it's a little cold right now - 69 in Cuenca today and tomorrow and the next 363 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment