Friday, December 17, 2010

A Walk

Until lately, I have been having trouble adjusting to the idea of living in Cuenca.  Not because I don't like Cuenca, because I do, very much; it's just that I haven't felt comfortable going out by myself for more than a few-block trip. However, that changed this morning; while Ray was still asleep, I set off by myself for a walk.  I wanted to take some pictures of the places we walk past on our way to wherever it is we go every day.  The first pictures I took were of our neighbor, the woodcarver.  He carves his figures from solid mahogany, paints the background colors by hand, and then airbrushes the finishing touches.  Most of his figures are religious.









The figures look like plaster, but they are not.  His work is excellent.

Then I walked down to Parque Calderon.  There is a Christmas tree there.


At the bottom you see round pieces of paper.  Those are prayers and wishes.  Some people just wrote on regular pieces of paper. 
Ecuador is Catholic, of course, and Christmas is an important holiday.  There are decorations, of course, but the lack of the US Christmas hype is refreshing.

I then walked to the Plaza Rotary, near the Mercado 9 de Octubre.  The Plaza Rotary has a market where one can buy baskets, furniture, pots and pans, and things like that.  We bought a table for our TV there.  I bought a shopping basket there, and today I bought a bag to carry my wallet, passport copy, and small purchases in. 
Baskets . . .

Tables, chairs, and shelves . . .

Hats, wooden utensils, and two very adorable children . . .

I find the markets -- and they are all over the city -- one of the most interesting parts of the city.  Next week, I will walk over to some of the other markets in other parts of El Centro.

There are supermarkets and stores at the malls, but, most of the time, we shop in the neighborhood.  Ray can get Pepsi right across the street.  I am probably going to have to go to the mall for my next big purchase -- a copier -- but Ray found a store the other day that has all kinds of tools, household goods, dishes, pots and pans . . . no printer, though.


I need to remember to take  our camera more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment