Friday, October 22, 2010

My view of things.

In the previous post Barbara wrote about Max (the dog) because she felt bad about me "putting him down", even though it was a joint decision - it was my decision. I guess there needs to be some explanation about this. Around these parts I am known as the Alpha Dog, not because I am aggressive ( although I can be ) but because I have a close relationship to animals. In humans natural instincts are suppressed by civilization, people aspire to what they are good at or forced into within the boundaries of society. That never happened to me, I was raised by animals. The short of it is that I am very fortunate to be married to Barbara - one of her PhD's is in animal psychology - who doesn't have the intuitive instinct, but has the intellect to recognize when someone does. Max deserved a chance to live in a non threatening environment and he didn't like it. Like animals in a zoo, out of their natural habitat, he developed nervous habits and ailments related to his new captivity. There is no question he would have died soon where he was when we took him in, but not all animals respond well to what people think are better conditions. Even though he was healthy for the first time in his life and given freedom he had never known, he couldn't overcome his previous life. Max survived abuse I can't imagine, we did what we could for him, no matter how bad we want to right a wrong sometimes we just don't have what it takes.

Max is buried on a knoll with my best skeet gun. When future generations unearth his grave they will know he was a dog worthy of a mans prized possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment