Friday, November 5, 2010

25 more days

Yesterday Barbara's tractor was trucked to its new owners in Mt. View, Missouri. The new owners are happy with their purchase, planning to use it as a replacement for an old Farmall. They say the old tractor will be restored and used in parades and shows by their young daughters. They will be surprised at the power and versatility of their purchase compared to their old tractor - a definite step up.

After a long day in Willow Springs, I was surprised to find that the attorney in Cuenca had finally sent a draft of the lease on an apartment on Av Luis Cordero. It will sure be nice to know we are not homeless when we return to Ecuador. Our Visas have been applied for and according to the lawyer should be ready within 10 days of our arrival in Cuenca. We are still having issues with our bank in the U.S. about things that were " no problem " now being areas of concern since we are shifting things around. As a result I will be shutting down my contracting business. Fortunately for us, I know a thing or two about accounting, so we can make quick changes without consulting. Too many people have their fingers in the till - I guess I shouldn't say anything but I feel compelled to voice my opinion about the small business environment in the U.S., especially when your moving out of the country. Back in the day, business was conducted as a sole proprietor, cash and trade with no paper trail, expenses directly deducted and revenues under reported, never hire an employee, make everyone a sub contractor, never declare a profit and when you hit the 3/5th rule start a new business and transfer assets as personal investments. I am not saying I ever did that but it sure would cut out all the paper work and the never ending parade of taxes, insurances and fees. Sorry, I run up against things sometimes that kinda piss me off.

The household items auction is Sunday at 10am and the house in Springfield is pretty much empty. The rental agent says there are a number of people interested in renting the house. We are in a sad state of affairs but the transition to Ecuador is only 3 weeks away and we are nearly ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment