Sunday, November 28, 2010

Two Days and 2900 Miles to Go

In 48 hours we'll be at the Springfield airport, starting our journey to Cuenca.  There are a few things left to do, but they are scheduled and I hope for no more major surprises -- we had a doozy on Friday, but we will take care of that Monday.  Our packing is almost done.  It's time to go, and we are having the usual "let's get going" reaction.

I will miss Springfield in some ways.  I've lived here 22 years, and in this house for 12.  I've moved a number of times, though, and I know that each new place seems strange at first.  It will take longer to become accustomed to a new country and a new language, of course, but we are up to the task. 

What will I miss?  I'll miss friends.  During my years at Missouri State, colleagues have become friends.  Some of them I can count on for anything.  However, with email and webcams and VOIP, we'll keep in touch.  I miss our pets, Max and Garbo.  Max, of course, you know about -- both Ray and I wrote about him -- but it would have been too hard on Garbo to take her with us.  She has a permanent home.

We leave with no unfinished business, no lingering doubts, and no regrets.  The next time you hear from us we'll be in Cuenca.  I can't wait, and I hope you keep reading.

1 comment: