Monday, November 8, 2010

One More Step

Yesterday, our household goods, guns, and the truck were auctioned off.  I thought it would be difficult to watch, but it wasn't hard at all.  Some of my things went for more than I paid for them; for example, an accent lamp with an art glass shade went for $15.  I paid $1 for it at an auction about two years ago.  Our Churchill Blue Willow plates, saucers, cups, gravy boats, and sugar bowl, which cost us about $35 at the same auction, went for $80.  The truck went for more than Ray thought.  Our guns did very well.  Of course, this is part of gun country.

So, now we're down to it.  I will be taking more donations to the Disabled American Vets thrift store later today; then, we'll start serious cleaning so I can call the rental agent and tell her she can bring potential renters over to look at the house.  Someone is coming to look at the Subaru today.  In the long run, though, I think I'll have to talk to the used-car sales manager at the dealership and see what he can do.

Three weeks from tomorrow we'll be in Quito, then on to Cuenca on December 1.  I'm feeling my usual anxiety because I've been waiting to see the lease on the apartment we want in Cuenca.  I'm really going to have to give up this sense of time urgency.  I've been working on it, but it's my one Type A personality trait and it seems to persist.  You'd think that six months of retirement would have taken care of it, at least in part.

Our friends Paul and Natasha Simpson - we met them in Cuenca when we were there in September - are having a rough time.  Keep them in your thoughts, and, if you pray, pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment