Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A male perspective on selling everything.

It seems I spend a lot of time posting to this blog to give my perspective on something that Barbara has posted. I always thought that when we decided to do something it was our decision and we agreed, then it was done. It seems that in the decision to move to Ecuador there are so many smaller parts that we still agree on but the point of view is vastly different.

This past Sunday we sold all of our household goods, which included my left over tools - which were considerable and the truck. Barbara's post was about how well she did on items she had purchased at other auctions in years past and made a profit on at this auction. Tables and chairs, dressers and beds, pot and pans, blenders and juicers, even jewelry and her personal pistol didn't phase her - but to me it was a traumatic experience. I was out in the lot like a used car salesman explaining how a Missouri Fox Trotter stud colt had cracked the front grill on the truck and how many board feet of  red and white oak the planer had milled, that those are Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, the skill saws have new brushes in them and there is a new chain for that chain saw, be careful those are laser levels, the difference between London and Philadelphia trowels and why a Martin ratchet is so much better than any other. It was a terrible day for me - I am truckless, toolless and soon to be landless and I have smoked my last Macanudo cigar.

 This isn't really a Macanudo, it's the last of the Torano's - Exodus 1959 Silver. I have one Macanudo Crystal - Robusto left but I won't have a picture of that because tears will be rolling down my cheeks. I used to grow Connecticut broad leaf without an allotment, so I would trade a bale or two for cigars and of course Macanudo's have a Connecticut broad leaf, shade grown wrapper.

This isn't the greatest picture but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment